Saturday, May 31, 2014

Laparoscopy/Laparotomy

Ten days ago I went in to the hospital for an outpatient exploratory laparoscopy.  I expected Dr. Stalling would find something, based on preliminary tests including an ultrasound that showed suspected endometrioma on my left ovary.  Eight hours later I woke up to the news that things were so messy inside the procedure was converted to an open laparotomy.  Surprise!  I had discussed with the doctor that I wanted the diagnosis and the excision to take place at the same time.  As a singer, I want to minimize the number of times I need to be intubated and have my most important muscles altered.


The endometriosis was advanced, stage IV.  My left ovary had two lesions on it, both of which were removed.  My fallopian tubes were both blocked, the left one completely, and the left was twisted forward around that ovary; the ovary fused to the pelvic wall.  Dr. Stalling implanted a gore-tex shield, something that will prevent the two from fusing together again.  My colon was fused to the uterine wall, strange to me, because I do not experience negative digestive symptoms.  This was also corrected.  My chances of conceiving naturally before this procedure?  According to Dr. Stalling, zero percent.  My chances of conceiving naturally after the procedure?  35-40%.  Zero to forty in eight hours ain't bad.

The good news?  Most of the disease was concentrated to the left side of my anatomy, leaving the right side in pretty good shape.  My right ovary is in great condition, and now the right fallopian tube is open.

My quest now is twofold: to maintain my health with the goal of slowing the return of endometriosis and to successfully conceive naturally.  Thoughts and prayers are welcome at all times.

By the way, this is what a laparoscopic and surprise laparotomy leave behind:

No comments:

Post a Comment