Monday, June 2, 2014

Reducing Toxic Load

Not long after starting my internet "research" crusade, I began to learn about the problem of xenoestrogens, or chemical compounds, either synthetic or natural, that imitate estrogen when absorbed into our bodies.  Given that endometriosis is an estrogen-fueled disease, those effected can benefit from reducing our estrogen and xenoestrogen exposure.
 In moderation, our livers can eliminate any excess, but the level at which we are exposed to these estrogens in our synthetic world of convenience can be too much for our livers to properly deal with.  Further, when trying to manage something like endometriosis, our livers are already working in overdrive.  To unburden my liver as much as possible, I am trying to learn how to avoid exposure to environmental toxins like xenoestrogens.

One source of xenoestrogens is beauty products: lotions, shampoos, make-up.  I never gave any thought to the make-up and shampoo I used, other than to choose the product that made me feel most beautiful and smell the best.  In a perfect world I'd go face naked, but for me, some make-up is necessary.  I just believe the people who have to look at my face all day deserve better, lol.

Well, turns out many of the products I have learned to love and use on a daily basis pose a problem by containing endocrine-disrupting ingredients.  Beauty products are underregulated by the FDA, so basically, anything goes.

Luckily I came across a great iphone app that can help consumers make better choices: The Environmental Working Group's "Skin Deep:"
I absolutely love what they do with their work... Fan for life!   Hundreds of products have been added to the searchable database, and if not, consumers can send a request to EWG to have a certain product added.  When available, the app allows you to scan a product's barcode and generates a rating based on that product's ingredients and how toxic they are known to be.  

The results are based on available research, and the extent of the research is shown along with a product rating from 1-10 based on the ingredients' potential to 1) cause cancer, 2) disrupt hormone function, or 3) irritate allergies.  I'm highly interested in the first two.  I can take a gamble when it comes to allergies, but I'm not willing to gamble when it comes to my hormones, and I'd certainly like to minimize cancer risk.  Some things just aren't worth it. 

DOWN TO THE DETAILS
For the longest time, I was using Vaseline Intensive Care lotion, not even aware that I could be risking my health in using it.  (Yeah, I know I'm late to this party!) My blissful ignorance was shattered when I scanned the barcode. 
SERIOUSLY?  A moderate risk for cancer, a high risk for hormone disruption.  For years I slathered this lotion all over, probably 2-3 times daily.  While I'm certain this lotion wasn't the singular reason I have such an advanced case of endo, I'm also certain it cannot help the cause.
The day I ditched Vaseline, I think I spent 45 minutes standing in the lotion aisle scanning barcode after barcode.  I did discover a suitable alternative:
Since I haven't had any allergic response to using the lotion, I feel comfortable using Curel, and I'm thankful that there are companies creating products that do not use toxic ingredients.  
I have transitioned to using coconut oil for moisturizing my face, and after showers for all-over skin, but when it gets hot in the house my coconut oil liquifies and can become difficult to apply in large amounts.  So I'm happy to have the Curel for on hand for broad application.  

In case you're wondering, not all popular name brands have cheap toxic ingredients.  Not that I'm entirely committed to "name brands," it's just that with all the changes I'm making food-wise, my funds are limited.  I don't have $30 to spend on organic mascara, you know?  Happily, the mascara I like to use passes the test for now.

Be careful, though- because companies tend to reformulate their products frequently.  Keep the app handy to use before making your purchases, and you can rest easy knowing you are limiting your exposure to reproductive toxins.




No comments:

Post a Comment