Monday, June 2, 2014

TOO MUCH, TOO SOON

Today is 12 days since my laparoscopy-turned-laparotomy, and I am once again confined to the couch, five pounds lighter than before surgery.  Listen to the people who advise you against doing too much too soon!!  Days 1-7 I literally did nothing except lay on my back watching the entire Game of Thrones television series.  Unable to stand, sit, or even move without difficulty, I tried to be patient with the healing process.  But my discharge instructions were woefully ambiguous: "Resume activities as able."
Well, anyone who knows me knows that I can't sit still.  I'm a doer, always with a project and always on the move.  As if it isn't bad enough that I won't be able to sing for at least six weeks, and that I won't be back to my vocal normality for much longer, now I'm learning that even minimal activity is compromising my recovery.  

I figured, as a sedentary job teaching a few piano lessons wouldn't set me back too far.  And my energy levels are back to normal levels.  So I ventured away from home for a few hours of teaching toward the end of last week, after all, I was determined to proceed with the recital that had been planned for months for Sunday.  

The few lessons I did manage to carry out were exhausting, but I figured as long as I did nothing else except lay around I'd be fine.  

Yesterday we had our recital and the kids did a great job, especially in light of the numerous absences on my part of late.  I was only engaged in this mild activity for three hours, but by the time I got home I was quite sore and swollen.  For the rest of the evening, I lay on the couch with my ice pack, but even today I feel like I've regressed in my progress.  And M is back in Michigan for work; I'm on my own for now.

So... the couch it is. At least Lola & Jasper are here to keep me company!  Lola's magnificent photo bomb:


No comments:

Post a Comment